Constipation is a very common problem when you move from easily digested breastmilk or formula to introducing solid foods.
My recommended treatments for constipation are...
- Avoid rice cereal - rice cereals can be difficult for your baby’s immature gut to digest and also contain added iron that can cause constipation.
- Mix in some fats with your baby’s foods (olive or coconut oil or some ghee) - fats help to keep the digestive system moving.
- Offer your baby a little bit of stewed pear or apple (grate some pear, including the skin, pop into a saucepan, cover with just enough water to cover the fruit) and cook on low heat until soft. If pureeing foods, then puree in a blender - You can give this on it’s own, or mix in with veggies.
- Offer a little bit of water in between feeds (30ml of cooled, boiled water).
- Give your little one a warm bath, then using some baby massage oil, massage her tummy in a clockwise direction
- If you...